Saturday, June 5

It's Saturday and we get a day off!

Let's see it's been a couple days since I wrote and my hands hurt too much to write much.  And they still do but it's time for me to give a true update on how things are going because I haven't exactly done that yet. 
We've been going out in quads a lot, which I love.  The easy speed is so great!

So what should I talk about in this post?  I guess I'll give you all an outline of my day and then as I think of more things I'll jot them down.  I come up with great ideas for posts while I'm taking a nap or out doing steady state on the water. 

My day goes as such:
5:55 or 6:55 wake up. 
Eat a snack, usually a banana and a granola bar or two. 
6:30 or 8:15 run with the team for 20 min.  Usually a pretty fast paced run, but nothing I can't keep up with. 
6:50 or 8:35 stretch and get ready to row.
7 or 8:45 team meeting to discuss the plan for the row. 
Row, row, row for about 2 hours or so. 
Come in, wash the boats, and put everything away.  Stretch again. 
Eat breakfast.
Sleep
Eat lunch
Watch TV.  We've been watching a lot of FRIENDS lately, because my roommate brought a bunch of seasons of it and it's better than watching commercials.  Right now though we are watching House, which I've never seen before, but am enjoying already.
3pm practice.  This is a bit more relaxed practice, usually in bigger boats (quads for us scullers) and a lot, a lot of steady state.  Like 18k of steady state.  :)  But it's enjoyable.
Around 5 we are off the water and washing the shells and stretching.
Then either we shower and then head to dinner, or head to dinner and then come back and shower.
Then it's an evening of TV and computing.  I've been spending time catching up with old friends that I stopped having time to talk to as much while in school and rowing.  So it's been great to catch back up with them.
And then around 9 or 9:30 I head to bed, because well I'm tired from the long day and need to revitalize my body!  And mind too!


Since my last post, we have done a lot of practicing of course and eating and sleeping and tv watching as my schedule suggests.  But the practicing bit has gone really well and things are progressing.  As I learned or relearned this evening I have a bunch of things to work on, but they're manageable details and didn't put me in a rut.  So with the next few hours off, I will attempt to sleep a lot and get ready for our first round of testing and hope my hands get a little less swollen and heal quickly.  I visited the trainers today and they gave me this really cool stuff that basically goes on like glue and doesn't come off.  So it basically covers half my hand and feels really weird, but hasn't taken any of the pain away, so I'm still dealing with that, but I don't have wounds like before.   I have to put more on tomorrow before I row, but I have all night to sleep and all day tomorrow to ice. 

Let's see what else... The OTC (olympic training center) where I'm at is pretty great!  The food like I said before is awesome, to have fruit available all the time is great.  The boathouse is simple, nice and not too out done.  The lake has a reasonable 3k course and we follow it and do laps on it daily.  The trainers like I said are cool, they have a nice track here and there are so many throwing stations for track and field.  And there are a billion bunnies here and lizards and birds.  The weight lifting tent is really cool, but we haven't spent much time there.  I'll share a more about that later, when the post isn't a few pages long.



Here's a video for the day. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4x-yQlWoT0

 My friend Nick shared it to me after a convo about being an underdog.  It's motivational!

That's all for today,
Take care all!
~ Hilary

No comments:

Post a Comment