Sunday, June 20

blessed and in Princeton!

We arrived in Princeton on Friday evening.  We left the training center in San Diego at 5:30 am and arrived in our rooms around 7:30pm.  It was a very long day and a lot of waiting, which tests my patience to no end, but we managed! 
We began practicing on Saturday, we arrived at the boathouse around 9:30 am and didn't get on the water until 11 because we had very limited tools and had to prepare all the boats and oars.  We did a slow steady state, just getting the blades wet.

In the afternoon we had to erg because they open the lake up to just about anyone in small paddle boats, so we can't go out on the water and attempt to get some good work in without hitting them.  However we got some good lifting and erging in :) 

Today we had practice this morning, which consisted of steady state and bursts.  I'm feeling really tired and diminished today, so hopefully our afternoon erging session won't be too challenging. 

I feel so blessed to be here, in a fairly nice dorm and rowing out of the Casperson Boathouse on Mercer Lake.  We have a brand new fleet of boats (wintechs...) and get to use oars that are just fine.  So my double partner and I have been able to take the paper out of the shoes (literally) for our last two rows.  The steering was screwy with the first boat so they gave us another boat.  :)  I feel so special, they have US National Team logos and writing on them and it's ours!  So we now just have to race hard at trials to secure the boat for good! 

The weather here is awful, so hot and humid, I just want to hang out inside all day, but practice is a must and so I'll spend every other waking moment enjoying the shelter of my bedroom and not wearing much clothing while outside!  I've been drinking more water than imaginable, it's a struggle to stay hydrated. 

Well that's all for now!  Headed to practice and hoping for cooler weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment