Monday, July 5

moving, racing, winning, fireworks, and philly

Let's see we left off on Monday, when I found out that I was officially cut from the U23 team.  So then after a few phone calls I found my way onto the pre-elite team down in Philadelphia.  So Tuesday after my last U23 practice, my friend Catherine drove up to Princeton to pick me up.  Tuesday afternoon was my first pre-elite practice in the quad, apparently I had lots to fix, but we made it through practice.

The first things I had to get were bedding and food, so a quick trip to target and $180 later, I settled into my bed and fell asleep in my new apartment with the rest of my new team.

Wednesday we had morning practices and afternoon practice was weights and a 5k.  Settling into our routine and needing a bike led me to Walmart late on Wednesday to pick up the cheapest one I could find. 
Thursday was 500s in the morning followed by an erg 8k for me.  Then we had the afternoon off so I headed downtown to get dinner and go to Whole Foods.  Friday was a short row in the AM and PM in quads, just spinning the wheels and making our legs go.  Saturday we did a 10k on the erg and then watched the girls 4+ racing. 

And then yesterday, Sunday, July 4.  I raced in the intermediate 8+.  We came in first in our heat by 22 seconds and then raced the final in the heat of the day and came in first again by 12 seconds to a different boat.  It was a fun race and we really picked up run and speed on the second race, even though there was a strong headwind.   It made our time slower, but our boat definitely moved faster. 

After racing I headed to my friend Catherine's to shower and have a BBQ with her neighbors.  Which was really fun!  Then we headed down to the boathouses to watch the fireworks.  I met a lot of really hilarious people and saw old friends.  It was a spectacular and fun night.  And then it ended with walking 3.5 miles back to my apartment with my roommate, because her bike got stolen a couple days ago.  Anyways, we made it home and all was well.

Now we are headed to a BBQ and pool swim with the team.  Enjoy a few photos below!

I'll update more often, but internet is shaky here!


At the awards dock.After racing, the Vesper intermediate 8+.Our new watches that we won!
Philly skyline at night!
best ~ Hilary

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever think you'd be repping vesper?
    I'm really happy that you got one of those watches. Hope all goes well over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never thought I'd be rowing for vesper, but I like it and it's so easy!!
    Loving the watch too!

    ReplyDelete